Gingerbread Cookies with Matcha Icing
- ½ Cup Softened Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Flax Egg
- ¼ Cup Molasses
- 2 ¼ Cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- ½ Tbsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 ½ Tsp Ginger
- 1 Tsp Clove
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Baking Soda
Royal Icing Base:
- ¼ Cup Vegan Icing Sugar
- ⅛ Tsp Cream of Tartar
- ⅛ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Tbsp Whipped Aqua Faba
Royal Icing Add-ons:
- Up to 5 Tbsp of Whipped Aqua Faba depending on desired thickness
- Up to ½ Cup Vegan Icing Sugar depending on desired thickness
- 1- 1 & 1/2 Tsp of Rawnice Matcha Powder for green royal icing
- Prepare flax egg and set aside.
- In a stand-mixer or by hand, cream together the coconut oil and coconut sugar.
- Add in all other wet ingredients and whip until smooth.
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- With your stand-mixer on low or whilst whisking, slowly add dry to wet ingredients. Scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Roll dough into a ball, cover it and place it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Get two pieces of parchment paper, place dough in between the two pieces of paper and roll out until it is 0.5 - 1.5 cm thick. This will depend on preference.
- Cut out gingerbread men and women and place the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Pop in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 D F.
- Pop cookies in the oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes depending on thickness and desired crunchy-ness.
- Let harden on baking sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare your royal icing.
- To prepare your royal icing, drain the water from a can of chickpeas. Whip the water for 6 to 8 minutes. It will become white and foamy.
- You will want two colours of icing, one with Raw Nice matcha green tea powder and the other that is just white. You will also want different thickness, one for details and the other for full body colour. For a runnier icing, add more aqua faba.
- To prepare the royal icing you just have to whisk the ingredients together.
- Once the cookies are cool, you can decorate whichever way you please!
- Let the icing harden. Enjoy!
Product used in this recipe:
Green Matcha powder
Green Matcha has a long tradition of use in tea ceremonies in eastern cultures. Our matcha is sourced with the focused on providing a matcha powder that is great for use in foods as well as for tea. It works really well to use in everything from smoothies to desserts!
This recipe was created by:
Steph is a recipe developer and food photographer that has been a part of the Rawnice fam forever.
She creates the most drool worthy vegan pastries out there. We love this gal!