Time required: 1 hour +
220 g flour
100 g cocoa powder
150 g sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
200 ml plant based milk
100 g vegan chocolate (melted)
3 tbsp apple sauce
50 ml coconut oil
1 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp raspberry jam (optional)
200 g vegan butter (softened)
400 g powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp Purple Sweet Potato Powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl or glass, pour the milk and add lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate using a double boiler or microwave.
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Add cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, soda, and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Add the milk mixture, peanut butter, oil, apple sauce, and melted chocolate in the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer the batter in a round baking pan. We used three round 14 cm pans. You can also use two 20 cm pans.
- Bake for 35-40 mins. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake, and if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely.
- Prepare the buttercream frosting: in a bowl, beat the butter with vanilla extract in low speed.
- Mix continuously while adding the sugar in batches. If the buttercream is too thin, add more sugar. If it's too thick, add a tablespoon or more of plant-based milk.
- Add the purple sweet potato powder. Mix in high speed.
- Assemble the cake: spread 1 tbsp of raspberry jam in between cake layers. Frost the entire cake with the buttercream using a spatula. A thin frosting around the cake would give it a "rustic" look.
- Decorate: top the cake with fruits and flowers (we used sliced figs, a mix of berries and chrysanthemums). Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving.
You can use the same recipe for making muffins!
Product used in this recipe:
Purple Sweet Potato Powder
Our purpliest Purple Sweet Potato Powder has joined the Rainbow Party! Make your foods fun & fancy with this royal purple color!